Monday, April 27, 2015

The Parable of the Sunday Chocolates

Sorry that I haven't written for awhile. The time just flies by so quickly. 
Today I am going to tell you the Parable of the Sunday chocolates. 
Last week Hermana Carrasco and I might have spent a little bit too much of our budget on a few American-only items that we found in the store while shopping 
(such as Dr. Pepper and Mrs. Fields cookies), so we didn't really have much real food to eat and it just so happens that Sunday morning we woke up to a fridge full of 
old, soggy carrots, two Dr Peppers, a box of Chamomile tea, a jug of water 
and a package of three Ferrero Rocher chocolates. 


Here I have to include a side-note about my cute little companion:
She is the type of person who pays a lot of attention to details, has a very good memory and is a master of self-control (yup, we are almost exact opposites in this aspect). This is her very first area in the mission and a few months before I came here she had bought the Ferrero Rocher chocolates to eat the day she leaves her first area - a special occasion in the life of a missionary. Yesterday as we were about to leave the house, she suddenly rushed back to the fridge and with a sheepish smile took out the chocolates and said "we are going to get hungry in church and I'm not so sure we could drink the Dr. Peppers as sneakily as we can eat these chocolates." 
So she stuck them in her bag and off we went. 

The first and second hours both passed by and the chocolates stayed safely tucked away in her bag, but as we made our way the the third and last hour of the meetings the bishop's wife rushed over to us and asked if we by chance had a candy that we could give to a less active member whose little boy was acting up, so that she could stay for the last meeting. We both looked at each other and then and the sister without saying a word. As I looked at my little compa I could almost see the typical angel/devil on the shoulder argument going on in each of us. I am pleased to say that the angel won out in the both of us and my companion quickly opened up the little pack of chocolates and handed one over to the little boy who happily quieted down and ate his sweet. 
This event in itself served to teach me various lessons about the exactness of Heavenly Fathers plans. He knows us so well. He does not forget even the smallest detail, and is always planning ways that we can be the means by which he demonstrates his love for his children. I know that we didn't save the world 
and we are probably the only ones that even noticed what was happening, 
but I also know that this seemingly insignificant situation was an opportunity that He had given us to take part in his marvelous plan. Along with Alma I can now say:

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass
and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.  And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes." 
(Alma 37:6, The Book of Mormon)

I know that He wants us to  be happy and will do all in his power to make 
true happiness possible for each one of us. Another sweet part of this story is that is doesn't end with us giving the chocolate away. At the end of the third hour a sister who was seated behind us tapped my companion on the shoulder and handed her a bag of crackers and told us to enjoy them. She didn't know we hadn't eaten, 
nor that we had given away the chocolate, 
but our Father knew and showed us His love through her.

What a blessing. I hope that this week you can all recognize those simple moments to be the means through which our Father shows us His love.
"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." (1 John 4:7-8, The Holy Bible)

Con Amor, Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment