Monday, December 9, 2013

Week of INSPIRATION/PERSPIRATION

Woo! Ok so another week has come and gone. The days are F.O.R.E.V.E.R. long. But then suddenly it's Monday and I don't know where the time went.

I never explained the title for last weeks email. Lo siento. 

Two weeks ago we were learning Joseph Smith's account of the First Vision in Español and I must say that it was VERY dificil, but also very uplifting. 
For those of you that have never heard what that is, I will explain:

Joseph Smith lived in the 1800's during a time of extreme religious excitement. He was concerned about what church to join, because he felt they all taught such different things. One day, he read in James 1:5 in the bible, which says: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him," and decided that, that is exactly what he would do. 

In the spring of 1820, when he was just 14 years old, he went to the woods to try out James' advice. In his words, this is what happened:

"I saw a pillar of light, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me..when the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air,. Once of them spake unto me, calling me by name, and said, pointing to the other -- 'This is My Beloved Son, Hear Him!'"

After Joseph had this glorious vision many incredible things transpired. (If you'd like to know more....ask the missionaries or click on the link that says "I'm a Mormon":)

Now, learning that in English is a little difficult, but in Spanish...ay! It is so humbling to attempt to do something difficult, knowing that you are completely inadequate, and yet finding that you CAN do it, when you ask Heavenly Father for help! (PS my title was "Este es mi Hijo Amado, Escúchalo" which translates to "This is My Beloved Son, Hear Him")

Over the last three weeks I have been witness over and over again to the incredible power of the Lord. He truly can make "weak things become strong" (Ether 12:27).

Which reminds me, This week was really uplifting! We are always bombarded with spiritual talks and quotes, and so I will give you a few of my favorites from this week.

"In times of trial, you can either become bitter or better"  -unkown

"I have pulled my handcart when I did not have the strength to walk and I knew the angels of the Lord were pushing. We came to know the Lord in our extremities. The price we payed to know him was a privilege to pay." -survivor from the Willie-Martin handcart company. (PS if you have not seen either of the movies 17 Miracles or Ephraims Rescue..Do it. Now)

"Do each task given to you, as if it were the very reason you were sent here" -Brother Hyde (from my Branch here at the CCM)

"When you feel you are in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people--take it up with the Lord. More often than not he has got you right where he wants you. Either for you to learn to trust him, or for Him to see that He can trust you." -President Wilkens (also from the CCM branch)

"Give all your strength to the Lord, He can do so much more with it than you can."  -Sister Neal Marriott

So yeah..it was a good week:)

I love all of you and I VERY much appreciate the love and support you have given.

Con amor,

Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment