Monday, March 31, 2014

(sigh)... "Americanas…"

So, I am officially out of training! We have transfers this week and I will be staying another 6 weeks in Tehuacan, which I am super grateful for. I’m ready to see miracles.

I know I’ve mentioned it, but I don’t know if I have sufficiently explained Montechiquito (Little mountain). It is a developing pueblito (which is like a little town) about 30 hour ride in combi from the city of Tehuacan. Because it is developing, this means that there are no paved roads, (o sea, it is complete POLVO [dust]). Some people even call it Montepolvo. So when we go to visit the people of Monte in the combi, the windows have to stay closed to prevent everyone from dying of dust inhalation and I sometimes feel like I am sitting in a moving oven for humans. That, or like I’m stuck in a clothes dryer. It’s quite an experience. Nonetheless, I love Montechiquito. The people there don’t have a lot, and as a result they are really humble and kind. We are teaching a family of an hermana and her two grown daughters and three grandkids and they are just incredible.

I have to tell you about an incredibly American experience that I had a few weeks ago. When I say "incredibly American" I mean that something happened in which everyone can tell that I am most definitely not from Mexico (MOM thinks I’ve forgotten that my eyes are blue and my hair is blond…). We were visiting a sister named America (ironically enough) and I was asked to give the closing prayer. You should know that my Spanish is getting a lot better and so saying a prayer is not something that scares me now, so I was feeling pretty confident. You might say a little bit TOO confident...I decided that I would add the last name of the family to make the prayer more personal (I decided this as I was in the middle of saying the prayer). Remembering that I saw a sign on the sister’s desk that said "Trofeos America" I thought "Hmm..maybe their last name is Trofeos America" (Because everyone here has two last names, one for the mom and one for the dad). So I asked Heavenly Father to bless the family Trofeos America. Let me tell you, I felt pretty good about that prayer. That is until we were passing their house about a week later and I saw that same sign on their house and was thinking about how it doesn’t add up that America would be a first name because the sister’s first name is america..and Then I remembered that the sister America makes trophies for a living.. Trophies...Trofeos....Yeah. I asked Heavenly father to bless the family "America's Trophies"...As my compañera would say, "*sigh* Americanas…" 

Ok, so maybe I am not completely Mexicana yet, but one of the members told me not to worry, because if I keep eating beans I will one day look Mexican. I guess we'll see after a year and a half...
I love MExico. I love this Gospel. I love the mission.
Con amor, Hermana Jones

PS..Listen to this sweet scripture from Doctrine and Covenants (a compilation of modern day revelation that the Prophet Joseph Smith received)  
 "Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers."
(And later, The Lord talking to Joseph)
"I know thy heart, and have heard thy prayers concerning thy brethren. Be not partial towards them in love above many others, but let thy love be for them as for thyself, and let thy love abound unto all men, and unto all who love my name.

"Arise and gird up your loins. Take up your cross, follow me, and feed my sheep."  DC 112:12,11,14

No comments:

Post a Comment