Monday, May 19, 2014

2 white girls in Mexico...

So this last week we had transfers (or in Spanish "changes") and I definitely had a few big changes happen. I moved away from my birthplace in Tehuacan (where I started the mission) to a sweet town called Atlixco: 
my companion and I are opening up a new area, AND I am training a new missionary fresh from the MTC in...PROVO! I am proud new mama to Hermana Traylor from good old USA!! I was pretty much a bundle of nerves for like three days because they don’t tell you who or where until you are in a big meeting with all the missionaries that are changing. When Presidente Reeves called my name and area and then my new companion, everyone let out a big "ooooh..." 
Needless to say, being one white girl in Mexico is only half as awkward. But don’t you worry, people almost believe me when I tell them I am kind of Mexican (if you don’t believe me, ask my parents how my English is coming - OH YEAH, because I also got to skype them on Mother’s Day, how sweet is that). 


Sometimes here in the mission, we compare the things that happen to how they happen in the real world. For example, when get your first companion (trainer), they are your "mom". When you are about to leave the mission they say you are "dying." And it’s so true. The Spanish word that we use to say transfers means "change" --- that is such a good word to describe this whole experience. 
There I was - all comfortable in Tehuacan, because I knew the area and the people, and then BAM, changes all over the place! 
And that’s how it is in the real world. We sometimes get so comfortable doing our day to day tasks, and then BAM, Heavenly Father gives us a whole bunch of changes to handle.

Really there are only two ways to handle them:
*fight and whine and struggle
*OR accept the changes and ask for His help
Sometimes we are just not capable to deal with all of our problems, small or big, by ourselves, but I am 100% sure that if we will go to our Father in Heaven and ask for Him to help us, there is NOTHING that we can’t do. I know it because I’ve seen it. The changes here in the mission are not easy, but miraculously enough, I’m still alive and loving every minute of it. 

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength, I am weak. 
Therefore, I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God 
for in his strength I can do all things…"
  (Alma 26:12,The Book of Mormon)       
I love this mission. I love this church. I love the Lord. 
Con MUCHO amor,  
Hermana Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment