Tuesday, September 2, 2014

"GIVE," said the Little Stream

Something super sweet that I have noticed about some of the people here in Mexico, is that they are SUPER giving. Almost to a point that you have to be careful what you say, because if you tell them how much you like their shirt, 
half the time they will take it off right then and there to give it to you.

Yesterday we went to eat lunch at a members house, and I told the abuelita how much I liked her apron (in nahuatl "babero"). She immediately started shuffling through her clothes that she had just carefully folded. When she turned around, 
I saw that she had a whole pile of baberos and was asking me which one I liked the most. It was SO sweet that I just wanted to squish her teeny self in a big old American hug (I have noticed that they don’t hug as squishily as Americans do). 


?WHY is it so stinking hard to share/give sometimes? 
It’s like, the material possessions that we have are connected to our bodies 
and if we give them away it’s like cutting out a vital organ. That takes me back to "The Parable of the Ear Plug"
(See my Feb blog entry---How embarrassing when you realize
YOU are the stingy, selfish one you´re preaching against...)
If there is one thing that I hope I have learned from the people
I am blessed to be with, it´s this fact:
it is ALWAYS better to give than to receive. 
IF we could all develop that giving spirit (and NOT just at Christmas time), I know that life would be a lot more HAPPY. However, I have acknowledged the fact that I cannot change the whole world, therefore, I´m starting with the one in the mirror (woo! for all you Micheal Jackson fans out there). 

As Paul the Apostle taught (2 Corinthians 9:7, The Holy Bible): 
"Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; 
not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." 

Hope you are all doing alright out there in the real world. 
Keep living and keep loving.
TTYNM (Talk to you next Monday).
Con amor, Hermana Jones 

No comments:

Post a Comment