Monday, January 27, 2014

Because we had no money... we now have 3 new investigators!!

Ok...so i really dont know where the weeks are going. 'is this real life??' ('David at the dentist' thank you very much) 

So, mi compañera and I were the first hermanas in our area and house (which you can definitely tell was lived in by elders) and so these first few weeks have been us getting to know the area and the people and honestly we havent had any real success with investigators. HOWEVER, this week was different! A story is brewing...(Olan Rogers anybody?)..

Last Martes (Tuesday) we had to go to the city of Puebla so that I could give my prints for my visa. Two things 1-I kind of felt like a criminal in there, 2-it took like 10 minutes for the whole process, which is awesome except for the fact that we drove 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back and had to spend our lifes savings for the trip. Needless to say, this week we were literally broke. Like, we had about 3 bucks between the two of us. Which we spent the next day on combi rides. I never thought I would be at a point in life that I would have ZERO money. However, it turned out to be a HUGE blessing. We were forced to do all of our teaching and finding within walking distance of our house and one day we were walking down a random road, looking for the house of a referral, when I heard some American music and the thought came to my mind that maybe that person would like to learn english ( side note: we are now teaching English classes, which is pretty cool. Except I still dont have the Spanish vocabulary to effectively teach, good thing one of the Mexican Hermanas also speaks english, or else it would be really awkward..). Anyways..we stopped at the house and knocked on the door. A young man came to the door and we told him about enlish classes and then asked if we could share a message. He said yes so we taught him the first lesson right there and set up an appointment for the next day. When we went back his mom was there, so we taught the two of them and set up another apointment. When we went back his older brother was there as well, so we taukght him too. So..out of small things, are great things brought to pass:) Because we had no money, we now have 3 new investigators!! Sweet:) Really, there are no coincedences.

I also found a few more things that I love about MX (specifically Tehuacan):

1-The small square trees. They are sweet. Even though I have to duck to go under them, i still like them I will send pictures next week.

2-The square buildings. I dont know what it is about that shape, but they like it. And I do as well:)

3-The verb 'picar.' It means 'to bight' and they use it when they are talking about spicy food. like 'no se preocupe, no pica' 'dont worry, it doesnt bite.' Haha every time they say that I imagine the food with a little set of teeth. oh, by the way. A-the pica doesnt really bother me except for the fact that I feel like Im being injured while Im trying to enjoy my food. B-when they say 'no pica' they mean 'dont be a sissy cause your gringa'

Anyways, this was a good week. I love you. I love this work. 

con amor, Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment