Monday, February 3, 2014

The Parable of the Earplug


So apparently they don't have earplugs here in Mexico. I know this because one of the Hermanas in my district was telling me about how noisy it is outside of her apartment and how she has been having a really hard time sleeping. I am not proud to admit this, but my first thought was, "Awe that stinks. I'm so glad I have two sets of earplugs, cause I still have 16 months, but I have a back up set if I lose the first set."  My second thought was a little bit better,  "Oh hey, I have two sets. I should totally give her a set." But then my third thought totally set the stage for a really big lesson, "I know, I'll give her the set that doesn't work quite as well. At least something is better than nothing." WOW. You know that moment when you break a cookie in half, but one side is bigger so you give the little half to the person you are "sharing" with. Yeah. That was me.  Here I am "preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ," spending a year and a half "in the service of my fellow being," and I am content with giving, but only if its the lesser portion of my abundance. And over an earplug. A little tiny thing that really doesn't matter. How can I claim to be a disciple of the Savior, when I have such a hard time at following one of the most basic lessons he taught "Love one another." The Savior would have immediately thought to give her the ONLY set of earplugs he had. So, from this we learn that I am most definitely not perfect. In fact nobody is. ]That is nobody, EXCEPT the Savior. He was the most perfect being to ever walk the face of the earth, and really the good news of this Gospel is that because He was perfect, we can be forgiven when we are not. We can overcome our weaknesses, our selfish tendencies, and let Him lift us up. "Behold by beloved brethren, remember the words of your God, {'COME UNTO ME' Mathew 11:24}, pray unto him continually by day, and give thanks unto his holy name by night. Let your hearts rejoice." (2Nephi 9:52, The Book of Mormon). Rejoice. Because no, we are not perfect, but He is. And that is enough. We can change. We can become better. We can give more and complain less.  
 
So that's all. That's what I learned from such a seemingly insignificant encounter.  
Next time you break a cookie in half, think a little bit longer before you decide which piece to give away. The decision you make could change your life:)

Mucho Amor, 
Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment