Monday, July 14, 2014

Heavy Laden

This week I was officially initiated as a Mexican. Ok, not really, but I did carry a bundle of sticks and walk like a native, so it was close enough. 
Here is the story behind the pictures...

One day about a week ago, my companion and I got out of the combi (small bus) and were on our happy little way to visit a few people when we saw a cute, little old lady carrying a HUGE bundle of sticks. She was literally one of the teeniest little ladies I have ever seen, and she looked super tired, so we decided we would ask her if she wanted help. Of course, like every independent person here, she said she was ok, so we just asked if we could accompany her to the end of the street. As we were walking, I told her I wanted to try carrying it because it looked heavy, so she took it off and I strapped that thing on and let me tell you, she is one tough Granny. HOLY COW. I am pretty sure it weighed more than her. But there I was, walking along (with everyone that passed by sure getting a kick out of seeing a white giant carrying a load of branches).  She told us that she walks everyday up the mountain (about three miles) to gather branches and then back again so that she can use it to cook tortillas and memelas to sell so that she can have money for her family of 4 grandkids and husband who is now blind. 
Oh, as if that doesn’t sound hard enough, she is also 79 years old. 
 
She told us that EVERY day she prays to God that he will help her be able to finish her work and carry her load. When she said that, it hit me pretty hard because I just knew that God had definitely answered her prayers that day. That he had sent two representatives
of His Son, Jesus Christ, to lighten her load 
for just a few short minutes. 
It reminded me a lot of the commitment that I made when I was baptized, and later as I chose to serve a mission, to follow His example and to take His name as my own. To live in such a way that others would see His face, in place of mine. 

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: 
and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."    
(Matthew 11:28-30, The Holy Bible)

He may not be here in person to help those whose burden is heavy, but I know that His love and help can be manifested through each one of us, as we take upon ourselves the load of our brothers and sisters. He is relying on us to reach out and lift up those around us. So let’s not waste so much time looking - at our watches, - or the television, -or just the other way ---while there are people around us struggling with trials seen and unseen. It’s time to take off the blinders of quick entertainment and selfish worries, and make our Father proud. 

Con mucho amor, 
Hermana Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment